Another great recipe from our friends at A Happy Healthy Heart!
2 cans full fat coconut milk
¼ cup coconut cream
½ cup raw sugar or maple syrup
2 tbsp cornstarch (or 1 tablespoon arrowroot starch)
2 tsp vanilla extract
½ tbsp sea salt
add ins: 4 peaches (fresh or frozen), cut into small chunks, and ¼ chopped pecans
- If you are using an automatic ice cream machine, prior to preparation, make sure that the machine’s ice cream bowl has been freezing for at least 24 hours. It should be completely frozen solid. Also, shake the coconut milk cans very well, the contents will need to be incorporated.
- Heat coconut cream and 1 ½ cans of coconut milk in a large pot over low heat.
- In a small bowl or measuring cup, combine remaining ½ can of coconut milk with starch. Stir and allow to sit for 5 minutes.
- Stir starched mixture into coconut milk mixture. Add in sugar and stir. Allow to cook until mixture has become thick, almost pudding-like. I have found that this takes about 20-30 minutes. You will know that it is the right consistency when the mixture stays on the mixing spoon for a few seconds without dripping off.
- Remove from heat and stir in vanilla. Pour mixture into a glass bowl, cover, and allow to cool in the refrigerator for at least an hour.
- Once mixture is cool, use with ice cream maker as per manufactures instructions. I’ve noticed that if it churns too much it gets icy so be sure to keep an eye on it.
- Using a rubber spatula, begin to fold in peaches and pecans. I used frozen peaches and poured in the peach juice, which really helps add flavor.
- Now, remove the ice cream from the machine and pour into scooping pan (I use a loaf pan).
- Cover the pan and freeze for another 3 hours, at least. If you have the time to stir it every hour, it will help it to remain super creamy.
- Remove from freezer, allow to thaw for a couple of minutes, and enjoy!