Number of Servings: about 10 (7 cups yield)
Hands on Time: 40 min
Total Time: 40 min
1 2- inch piece fresh ginger, peeled and smashed
2 cardamom pods, crushed
4 (13.66 oz) cans unsweetened coconut milk (6 ½ cups)
1 cup arborio rice
½ cup light brown sugar or honey
¾ tsp. kosher salt
2 large peaches, coarsely chopped (2 ½ cups)
1 vanilla bean, split lengthwise
2 peaches, thinly sliced
½ cup sweetened coconut chips or toasted unsweetened coconut flakes
Freshly grated nutmeg
1. Combine ginger, cardamom, coconut milk, rice, sugar, salt, and chopped peaches in a Dutch oven. Scrape seeds from vanilla bean and add to pot along with the pod.
2. Bring to a boil over medium high heat; cover, reduce to simmer, and cook 15 minutes or until rice is just tender.
3. Uncover and simmer 10 minutes longer, stirring frequently, until thickened.
4. Remove from heat. Remove and discard vanilla bean pod, cardamom pods, and ginger.
5. Divide rice pudding evenly among serving dishes. Top with sliced peaches, coconut chips, and a sprinkle of nutmeg. May be served warm or cold.