Number of Servings: about 10 (7 cups yield)
Hands on Time: 40 min
Total Time: 40 min
1 2- inch piece fresh ginger, peeled and smashed
2 cardamom pods, crushed (or substitute ⅓ teaspoon ground cardamom)
4 (13.66 oz) cans unsweetened coconut milk (6 ½ cups)
1 cup arborio rice
½ cup light brown sugar OR honey
¾ tsp. kosher salt
2 large peaches, coarsely chopped (2 ½ cups) plus 2 peaches, thinly sliced
1 vanilla bean, split lengthwise
½ cup sweetened coconut chips OR toasted unsweetened coconut flakes
Freshly grated nutmeg
- Combine ginger, cardamom, coconut milk, rice, sugar, salt, and chopped peaches in a Dutch oven. Scrape seeds from vanilla bean and add to pot along with the pod.
- Bring to a boil over medium high heat; cover, reduce to simmer, and cook 15 minutes or until rice is just tender.
- Uncover and simmer 10 minutes longer, stirring frequently, until thickened.
- Remove from heat. Remove and discard vanilla bean pod, cardamom pods, and ginger.
- Divide rice pudding evenly among serving dishes. Top with extra sliced peaches, coconut chips, and a sprinkle of nutmeg. May be served warm or cold.