Caramel Apple Turnovers
Prep time: 15 min
Total time: 1 hour
2 medium apples, chopped (Granny Smiths work great!)
½ tsp. ground cinnamon
2 Tbsp. light brown sugar
½ (17.1 oz) pkg. frozen puff pastry, thawed
3 Tbsp. caramel sauce, warmed
1 egg, beaten with 1 tsp. water
1. Cook apples, cinnamon, sugar, and a pinch of salt in a saucepan over medium-low until apples are softened, about 5 minutes. Remove from heat, and let cool to room temperature.
2. Preheat oven to 400 F. Unroll pastry sheet onto a lightly floured work surface. Roll into a 12 x 12 inch square. Cut into 9 squares.
3. Spoon about 1 tablespoon of the filling into the center of each dough rectangle. Lightly brush the edges of the dough with egg wash, and fold over the filling to form triangles. Press edges with a fork to seal.
4. Place turnovers on a parchment paper-lined baking sheet and brush with egg wash. Cut a small slit in the top of each turnover.
5. Bake until golden brown, about 25 minutes. Serve warm or at room temperature drizzled with caramel sauce.